Should I upgrade to iOS 7? Will it slow down my phone? Does it require a lot of storage? How do I upgrade?
These are all great questions which I have been asked many times. I thought I would share my answers below.
Thus far, the install on older devices seems to work very well. However, if you have a low tolerance for potential bugs in new software, there is no harm in waiting. Patches and bug fixes come out frequently. If you wait a month or so, you may avoid some possible headache. But, you may feel a little behind as there are already over 200 million devices running iOS 7!
To see the IOS 7 New Features video:
My experience with upgrading devices and the feedback I have received is that it is very stable. However, some people have experienced issues and once you upgrade you can’t go back.
Before upgrading, I recommend several steps. These steps are not required but may keep you from encountering potential issues.
Confirm you have a compatible device:
iOS 7 is compatible with the following devices
- iPhone 4, 4S, 5, 5C, 5S
- iPod touch 5th generation, 16GB & 32GB/64GB
- iPad 2, iPad with Retina display, iPad Mini
Free up Space, if needed:
iOS takes a significant amount or storage space. To avoid potential problems you may want to free up space. Here are some suggestions.
- Delete apps you don’t use (old games), etc. To delete apps, Tap and hold the app icon until it starts to jiggle. Touch the x in upper left of the app icon.
- Delete unused photos and videos.
- If you have a large number of photos and videos you would like to keep, you may want to back them up to iPhoto on your desktop computer. Then, you can delete them off of your phone (or select which ones to remove from your phone). To do this, attach your phone with the cable to your desktop or laptop running iPhoto. iPhoto should automatically open and ask if you want to import your photos. If it doesn’t automatically import, from iPhoto choose File, Import to Library….
Back up your Content:
Before upgrading, you may want to consider backing up you iPhone or iPad.
The easiest way is to back up your data is to do an iCloud Backup. To do this:
- Make sure you are on a wireless network.
- Tap Settings > iCloud > Storage & Backup.
- Tap the “Back up Now” button.
Note: If you have low battery power it is best to plug in your device during backup.
Upgrade your Software:
The easiest way to upgrade to iOS 7 is over a Wi-Fi connection. To do this:
- Plug in your phone or make sure it is fully charged.
- Maker sure you are on a wireless network.
- Tap Settings > General > Software Update > Install
Note: It can take anywhere from 30 min – 1.5 hours to run the install.