Quint asked, I share a data plan with my kids how can we keep from running over?
If you are getting charged for extra cellular data these 3 tips can help get your costs under control.
First, turn off Background App Refresh. This forces your phone to install app updates when your smartphone is using Wi-Fi access and not cellular data. To turn off Background App Refresh:
- On iOS go to Settings > General > Background App Refresh
- Android Users go to Settings > Advanced Features > Security Policy Updates > Download updates via > Wi-Fi only
- Android Users should also do the following: Settings > Data Usage > Mobile Data Usage > Go to each App and turn off “Allow background data usage”.
Second, if your phone has a hard time switching to wireless when the signal is weaker, turn off cellular to force the Wi-Fi connection. To force a Wi-Fi connection, turn on airplane mode then turn Wi-Fi back on. I use this feature frequently. To force a wi-fi connection:
- On iOS devices: On your Home Page, swipe up to see your Control Panel. Tap the Airplane icon to turn off both cellular and Wi-Fi access. Tap the Wi-Fi icon to turn it back on (but not cellular data).
- Android Users: Turn on Airplane mode. Then turn Wi-Fi back on.
Lastly, in Settings, turn off cellular data for heavy data apps, like YouTube or many games.
- On iOS go to Settings > Cellular. Scroll down and turn off cellular data for desired apps like YouTube and FaceBook.
- Android Users: Settings > Data Usage > Mobile Data Usage > Go to each App and turn off data usage.
Note: Android instructions may be different depending on you device.
I’m Francie Black with your Tech Tip Today.